Individual Protection from AIG

Answering your questions

We’re here to help you every step of the way.

We know you’re already going through a challenging time if you need to make a claim when someone has died. We hope we can make things a little easier by answering some of the questions we get asked most often.

What happens if the term has ended when a claim is made?

We only cover the named person while the policy is active. If the policy has ended, we will not be able to pay a claim.

What happens if I don’t pay my premiums?

If premiums are not paid for more than 30 days while the policy is active, it will be cancelled and the named person will no longer be covered.

Does it matter if I can’t find the original policy documents?

No, we don’t need to see the original policy documents for you to make a claim.

Will you accept a photocopy or solicitor verified copy of the death certificate?

You will need to send us the original death certificate. Unfortunately, we’re unable to accept copies or certified copies of birth, marriage or death certificates.

It may be useful to purchase more than copy of the death certificate, as you could find other companies you deal with may need a copy too.

Will you return the death certificate?

We’ll return any original certificates to you by recorded delivery, usually within five working days.

Will you need a medical report?

We don’t always need a medical report to assess a claim if someone has died. Where a claim is unexpected, we may need a report from the GP or Coroner.

If we do request medical reports, we’ll let you know why we need them.

When will you pay my claim?

Every claim is unique. We’ll deal with your claim as quickly as possible by calling or emailing where we can.

Once we have the evidence to support your claim, we aim to make payment to a bank account you nominate within five working days by BACS.

If we can’t pay your claim, we’ll contact you to let you know why.

Why might a claim not be paid?

We’ll always try our best to pay a claim. The reasons we may not pay a claim are because we were not given the correct information when the named person applied which might have affected our ability to cover them under the terms we provided, or if their policy has an exclusion.

Who do we pay?

If we’ve agreed to pay your claim, we’ll make payment to the joint policyholder, owner of the cover, trustee(s) or assignee(s).

This means that if your policy is not assigned, under trust or owned by anyone else, we’ll make payment to the estate.

Is the money you pay me taxable?

Under current legislation and HMRC practice, the money we pay is normally free from Income Tax and Capital Gains Tax.

If the money paid out forms part of the estate, it may not be free of inheritance tax.

What happens to the policy once a claim has been made?

When someone has died and we’ve paid a claim, the policy will stop. You don’t need to do anything.

What happens to a joint life policy once I’ve made a claim?

If the policy was taken out to cover two people and pay out after the first person dies, the surviving policyholder will no longer be covered once the policy has ended.

If the policy was taken out to cover two people and pay out after the second person dies, the policy ends after the second person has died (or has a terminal illness) and the claim has been paid.

If you still need cover, we recommend you speak to your financial adviser.

What is probate?

Probate is the process of dealing with someone’s money, possessions and final wishes after they die.

Who can carry out probate?

If the deceased left a will, they may have appointed an executor or executors – these are the people who are expected to ‘execute’ the will (known as the legal personal representatives). They will pay any Inheritance Tax that is due, collect the assets, pay out any debts such as the funeral bill, and share out the estate as specified in the will.

If there is no executor named, someone must become the administrator of the estate.

If there is no will, an administrator must be appointed. The administrator largely performs the same tasks that an executor would, although they often have no will to act upon.

You can check who is legally entitled to an estate, if there is no will, on the government website:

Will I need a grant of representation to make a claim?

This depends on who owns the policy.

We don’t need to see a grant of representation if the policy:

  • is jointly owned
  • is owned by another individual or company
  • has been placed under trust and at least one trustee survives, or
  • is assigned to a third party.

This is because the surviving joint owner, trustee or assignee is the policy owner and the payment does not form part of the deceased’s estate. If this doesn’t apply, the payment will form part of the deceased’s estate and we’ll usually need to see a grant of representation before we can pay a claim. Before you apply for a grant of representation, we recommend you contact us to have the claim validated.

However, if the estate is small and an application for probate is not needed for any other reason, it’s possible we may not need a grant of representation. We’ll ask you questions about the estate and let you know if this is something we can consider.

How do I obtain a grant of representation?

The kind of grant that you need will depend on your circumstances.

  • If you’re the named executor in the will – grant of probate
  • If you’re the administrator of a will – letters of administration (with a will)
  • If you’re the administrator with no will – letters of administration
  • If you are an executor/administrator for an estate in Scotland - certificate of confirmation

It’s possible to apply for probate yourself without the assistance of solicitors (who will charge you for their services). If you need more help, these websites have further information: (England and Wales) (Scotland) (Northern Ireland)

4 12 23 53
Days   Hours   Minutes   Seconds

Tuesday 26th March 3pm

The need for Income Protection - CPD accredited

Join us to learn about our market-leading comprehensive Income Protection insurance.