Critical Illness Insurance
Our YourLife Plan Critical Illness Cover is designed to make your life easier if you ever need to deal with the financial strain of a serious health problem. If you are diagnosed with a critical illness covered by our policy, we’ll give you a pay out to help take away some of your money worries. So you can focus more on what really matters - your recovery.
Critical illness plans are designed to take care of your financial needs and protect you during what could be a really stressful time.
How much you choose to insure is up to you, and the money from your critical illness cover can help you in lots of different ways. No matter how big or small your policy is, we will always be here to give you the support you need.
We automatically cover you for:
- Over 100 conditions: We’ll pay out for over 100 different illnesses and operations, including cancer, heart attack, multiple sclerosis, stroke and pregnancy complications. To see a full list, head to our Key Facts document.
- Your children: No parent wants to think about their child ever being ill. But if this were to happen, we’ll be there to help you. We automatically cover any children you have (or will have in the future). And remember, a pay out can give you the financial stability to spend more time with your family, and less at work. And because we want to help you in any way we can, we’ll step in and pay more if your child needs overseas medical treatment.
Add even more protection
We know how important it is for you to find the right cover. We offer three different add-ons to give you the extra protection you may need at an additional cost:
- Total Permanent Disability: Becoming permanently disabled could be devastating, and this add-on can take away some of your money worries while you adjust to a different way of life. If you’re unable to work again, we’ll provide financial support with your cover paid out all in one go*.
- Total Disability: A unique add-on that gives you a temporary income, and can be bought in addition to Total Permanent Disability. If you’re too ill to work for more than 26 weeks, we’ll pay you a fixed amount monthly to help you with your bills**.
- Waiver of Premium: We offer an extra called Waiver of Premium. For just a small additional amount, this add-on means that we can pay your premiums if you can’t work due to injury or illness. It’s that simple.
*This might not be the case if you are also claiming on Total Disability.
**Your claim will draw down on your critical illness cover amount and will therefore reduce the amount paid out at a critical illness claim.
Your needs may be different to your friend, your neighbour or a family member. That’s why we have different critical illness insurance options – to help you find the cover that works for you and your lifestyle.
CIC Start - Critical Illness with Term Assurance
Our Start range can really help you if you have a limited budget but you’re looking for a full range of cover.
With this product, your premiums (the amount you pay every month) are kept lower at the beginning than standard critical illness insurance. These premiums then increase gradually over time.
CIC Start helps you get insured on a lower budget, but it could eventually cost more than a typical plan, depending on how long you keep the cover for. Although we’ll always let you know how much your premiums will increase every year. You’ll have the option to refuse an increase, but if this is the case, the amount you could be paid will be reduced to reflect this. We recommend reviewing your cover every few years to make sure it’s still right for you.
Key3 Critical Illness Insurance
Key3 offers you cover for cancer, heart attack and stroke – our three most commonly claimed on critical illnesses*. It covers you for fewer illnesses and conditions than our YourLife Plan Critical Illness Cover, making it a cheaper option. You can also get Key3 with or without life cover.
- If you choose the option without life cover and are diagnosed with cancer, or suffer a heart attack or stroke: If you survive two weeks after being diagnosed, you’ll receive a payment to give you and your family financial security at a difficult time.
- If you choose the life insurance option: Your family will be supported with a payment in the event of your death or terminal illness diagnosis. The cover only pays out once in the event of death, terminal illness or for a critical illness.
*Source: AIG Life claims statistics
Writing your policy into trust
You can work with a financial adviser to write your policy into trust. There are a couple of options to choose from and making this legal arrangement ensures that money paid out goes straight to the people you want to benefit from it. This could mean a death claim is paid quicker in comparison to a policy not in trust and could help you manage IHT. We can’t advise on whether putting any particular plan into a trust would be suitable for your circumstances - we’d recommend getting some professional legal advice. For more information, read our guide to explain how trusts work for insurance policies.
Additional benefits of AIG
We want to help in any way we can - financial or practical. At AIG, we go beyond the claim with additional services and support at no extra charge.
With AIG, you’ll get access to Best Doctors for invaluable second medical opinions. Their expertise helps you and your family get the right diagnosis, treatment and care.
We understand that your family may need more than financial security. We work with the leading UK charity Winston’s Wish to help bereaved children get specialist support.
Best Doctors and Winston’s Wish are non-contractual benefits which can be withdrawn at any time without notice.
Literature and support materials
Term Assurance - Key Facts
For more information on YourLife Plan Term Assurance, visit our Key Facts.
CIC Start - Key Facts
For more information on CIC Start - Critical Illness with Term Assurance, visit our Key Facts.
Key3 - Key Facts
This document describes what is covered by Key3 Critical Illness Insurance, who can buy it and how it works.