Healthy eating with Smart Health

It’s all about balance

We’ve all heard of different fads and different diets. But really, a healthy diet is all about balance. There’s no such thing as unhealthy food, as long as you’re eating it in moderation.

The experts at Smart Health talk about the 80/20 rule. Enjoying your favourite treats 20 per cent of the time, as long as you’re making nutritious healthy choices for the remaining 80 per cent of your diet.

But with so much information out there, it’s hard to know where to start. That’s why it’s always important to listen to reliable sources like the NHS, or if you’re an AIG customer, your dedicated team of Smart Health nutritionists.

And they’ve been sharing their wisdom in the videos below. Listen to Sophie’s top three tips on improving your health with what you eat, and Sarah with her tricks on how to make baking sweet treats healthy. Give them a watch.

 

 
Getting your portion sizes right

When plating up your meals, you want to know how much of each food you should be eating, right? Well, the best place to start is by using your own hand and breaking your meal up into four groups: protein, vegetables, carbs and fat1.

 

A palm sized portion of protein

Protein
A portion of protein is your palm

A cupped hand sized portion of carbs

Carbs
A portion of carbs is your cupped hand

A fist sized portion of vegetables

Vegetables
A portion of vegetables is your fist

A thumb sized portion of fat

Fat
A portion of fat is your thumb

 

Start with a portion of protein that’s the size of your palm – this could be anything from chicken breast to lentils – there’s plenty of protein-rich sources out there for everyone, and every diet.

Next add your veg. Use a portion of vegetables that’s the size of your fist and try getting at least two of your favourite veggies into your meals.

Now for your carbs. From rice and noodles to bagels and wraps, you should aim to include a cupped handful of complex carbs (such as brown pasta, rice, bread or other wholegrains) in your meals to keep you fuelled.

Finally add your fats, but remember some fats are healthier than others. Try using a thumb amount of olive oil, nuts, avocados or any other unsaturated fats.

 

1 Tic Trac, Ensure every meal is balanced, Jan 2021

Guides for healthy eating at home

Eat well to feel well

During times of stress and uncertainty, the most important thing we can do is to look after ourselves – both physically and mentally.

Good mood foods

It’s really important to fuel your body with the right nutrition. This guide helps you to understand the nutrients you need, and the food sources they are found in.

Nutritious kitchen essentials

Our kitchen essentials guide gives you some tips on how to build a nutritious food stash, and inspiration for cooking delicious meals with essential ingredients.

Young woman with mouthful, eating a sandwich and laughing
Tailored nutrition advice

Get weekly meal suggestions tailored for your specific dietary needs to keep you on track.

Young couple on sofa smiling whilst they look at a laptop
Make smart health choices

Find out how to access Smart Health to get started with your healthy eating journey.

back to the hub

 

"Nutrition plays such a key role in our mental and physical wellbeing. We love supporting AIG customers so that they feel empowered to make healthy and nutritious choices on a daily basis."
The nutrition team, Teladoc Health