Income protection insurance offers financial support against loss of earnings due to illness or injury. It is the most important insurance your client should have - around one million workers a year are unable to work due to prolonged sickness or injury,* yet many people have never even considered what they’d do if they couldn’t work because of long-term illness or injury. For most people, experiencing a sudden loss of income due to illness or injury could be devastating for them and their family.
Why recommend AIG's Income Protection
Sometimes, it’s the little differences that matter most.
AIG’s Income Protection covers a wide range of customers who apply for income protection, including former cancer sufferers, those living with diabetes and house persons. It’s only fair that as many customers as possible have access to insurance, so we regularly look at how medical advancements can help us help your clients.
If your clients are self-employed and looking for cover, we’ve made the process of applying for income protection easy. Our online system can quickly assess most of these applications and we have straightforward philosophies in place - we use the personal taxable income and provide clear guidance throughout the application process.
We help your clients get back to work
At AIG, helping your clients get back into the workplace earlier is at the heart of what we do, and our range of rehabilitation support services help support this.
- Rehabilitation support: Our early intervention rehabilitation support services help your clients from the moment they are unable to work due to illness or injury. We’ll provide assistance during the deferred period, and will source specialist providers to suit your client’s needs.
- Recuperation benefit: We’ll pay for services requested by your client that could improve or maintain their health and help them return to work - it could range from physiotherapy or counselling through to help travelling to work. Your client could receive an additional payment of up to three times their monthly income protection benefit with no deferred period.
- Hospitalisation benefit: To help clients cope with long, expensive hospital stays, we’ll pay them £100 per night after the first six nights (up to a maximum of 90 nights).
- Proportionate benefit: Returning to work sometimes means a lower salary or fewer hours. So we’ll top up their benefit to match their usual monthly earnings.
We pay out in ways that help
The aim of AIG’s Income Protection is to provide the most suitable replacement income to your clients when they’re unable to work.
We think it’s important to offer the most suitable form of support for sensitive scenarios, and that’s why we give your clients these lump-sum benefits.
- Trauma benefit: If your client suffers one of the six trauma conditions and operations we cover, we’ll pay six times their monthly benefit amount as a lump sum, up to a maximum of £50,000.
- Terminal illness: When a terminal diagnosis means your client has less than 12 months to live, we’ll waive the deferred period and make an immediate lump-sum payment of 12 times the monthly benefit.
- Death benefit: If your client dies, we will make a single £10,000 payment.
Serious illness or injury to a family member can put a big strain on a family’s finances. If a member of your client’s family needs care or extra support, our family carer benefit could pay up to £1,500 a month for up to 12 months. The payments offer your client the option to stop work in the short-term to look after their loved one or to hire a carer.
Protecting your clients' earnings
We know that your clients’ earnings can change and fluctuate, but protecting their level of income is important when it comes to protecting their current lifestyle.
If they earn less at the claim stage than they did when they took out their policy, they’ll never dip below our £1,500 threshold. Those with cover for that threshold or less will always receive their monthly benefit amount.
We give your clients access to Best Doctors for invaluable second medical opinions. Their knowledge helps your clients and their immediate family get the right diagnosis, treatment and care.
We understand that people need more than financial security. We work with the leading UK charity Winston’s Wish to help bereaved children get the specialist support they need.
From on-demand consultations with UK based GPs, to Best Doctors - the expert case management service with the world’s top medical specialists, our Smart Health service is a convenient way to connect your customers to tools that help them to manage their health and wellbeing from anywhere in the world, 24/7.
Smart Health, Best Doctors and Winston’s Wish are non-contractual benefits which can be withdrawn at any time without notice.
Literature and support materials
Income Protection - Sales Aid
This document explains the benefits of income protection for your clients.
Income Protection - Key Facts
For more information on YourLife Plan Income Protection, visit our Key Facts.